Tactical training is a necessary part of any job where firearms need to be used. Simulating real-world incidents helps operators prepare, both mentally and physically, for the challenges that come with serving at home and abroad.
But training injuries and even fatalities are not uncommon when it comes to tactical training. That’s why training with non-lethal weapons and ammunition is becoming ever more important for military and law enforcement personnel as they look to reduce the number of training injuries every year.
In this article, we’ll take a look at why tactical training drills are important and how to provide a safer training experience for firearms operators.
Why regular drills are important for the military and law enforcement
Military organizations require its members to be in peak physical condition and to have the skills to operate efficiently under a wide range of challenging conditions. To achieve this, the military conducts regular physical fitness and tactical training drills. These drills help members to maintain their readiness, and become familiar with the equipment they will use in the field.
In addition, ongoing training provides an opportunity for the military to test its procedures and plans. By running through various scenarios, the military can identify weaknesses and address them before they are put into action.
Regular training with firearms are just as important for law enforcement. Police officers regularly face unpredictable and often dangerous situations such as domestic violence cases, suspicious individuals, high-risk vehicle stops, or active shooter situations. Tactical training will help officers develop good techniques and muscle memory,, but more importantly, help prepare them mentally for dealing with high-pressure situations where they have to be decisive and use force if necessary. Ongoing training allows police officers a safe environment to learn without putting themselves or the public in danger.
The risks associated with military and law enforcement training
The safety risks associated with tactical training, especially in the military, are well-documented. Between 2006 and 2018, 31.9% of active-duty military deaths were the result of accidents, according to a congressional report. Compare this to just 16.3% of service members who were killed in action during this time.
And this trend is on the rise, with the number of non-combat deaths exceeding the number of killed-in-action deaths every year since 2015.
Several factors contribute to the increased risk of injury during military training, including the use of live ammunition, physical exhaustion, and mental stress. The increased scope and complexity of military operations have led to a greater need for specialized training, which can be more dangerous than traditional forms of training.
How the UNIT4 enables safe and realistic training scenarios
Realistic training is the closest troops and police can get to operational experience, but the risks, as outlined above, need to be taken seriously. UNIT Solutions’ tactical training system offers a safer alternative for military and law enforcement personnel. Our non-lethal training system is cost-effective and very closely mimics training with live rounds.
Here’s how UNIT Solutions’ tactical training system works:
- Non-Lethal Ammunition - The UNIT4 Rifle uses 100% biodegradable ammunition that’s lead-free and brass-free, and will not break glass or penetrate covered human skin. Plus the TPAK cartridges themselves are 100% recyclable.
- Realistic, Non-Lethal Weapon- The UNIT4 is identical in form and function to the M4 rifle and made from military-grade aluminum. It fires in semi and full auto mode with a 30-round magazine capacity, and has a realistic trigger and pull recoil. In other words…it’s exactly like the real thing. The one difference? It’s been classed as a “non-firearm” by the ATF.
- Train In Authentic Environments - The UNIT4 Training System allows operators to train in authentic environments with minimal protective equipment to better replicate real-world scenarios. It’s also safe and quiet enough to use in any indoor or outdoor environment, including your backyard, basement, or garage, for those days where you can’t make it to the range or a drill.
UNIT4 Rifle Non-Lethal Configuration
- Classified by the ATF as a non-firearm
- Safe semi-automatic and full-automatic firing modes
- Does not need to be stored in the armory
- A standalone system cannot be converted into a real firearm
- Eliminates the possibility of putting live ammunition into a training scenario
- 100% biodegradable, lead-free and brass-free projectiles that provide an appropriate pain response, but will not break covered human skin
- No extensive protective equipment required
- Can be shipped through any mail carrier - does not require a HAZMAT vehicle for transportation
About UNIT Solutions
UNIT Solutions is dedicated to being the pre-eminent non-lethal training solution for law enforcement and military worldwide. Based on direct feedback from military and law enforcement professionals, we have custom engineered an affordable solution to directly address existing training challenges and provide the best training system on the market for realistic force-on-force and decision-making training. Visit our website for more information.